If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask the Commonwealth of Nations not to re-admit a Zanu PF government, into the Commonwealth of Nations because this would be a hammer blow to the ordinary people of Zimbabwe. People who for decades had restrained themselves under untold hardship and suffering. Holding on to the values of democracy and Rule of Law whilst the Zanu PF government was knee deep in corruption, fraud and lawlessness. Such a readmittance would be buring democracy because it would have rewarded the Zanu PF government for its bad behaviour. It would mean that any future transfer of power in Zimbabwe would have to be through a lawlessness, corrupt and violent process, since democracy would have failed.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would say to the Commonwealth of Nations that a re-admittance back into the Commonwealth of a Zanu PF government would be the final act for the frustrated millions of young people. For they already have the view that they are on their own and the world does not care. Such an admittance by the Commonwealth of Nations would indeed confirm that they are on their own. The young would find the extremism in Northern Mozambique a good option for their predicament in Zimbabwe. Indeed, the continuing conflict in The Democratic Republic of Congo, DRC, would also convince them that the best option is the violent option.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask the Commonwealth of Nations to reject the notion that the Zanu PF government of Zimbabwe, could be converted once in the folds of the Commonwealth. Should there be those advancing this notion, it would indicate that they do not really know Zanu PF. It would be akin to the British Prime Minister Neville Chambelain in 1938, returning from a meeting in Munich, with a paper in his hand of the agreement with the German Chancellor Adolf Hitler, saying Germany and Britain would never be at war. Neville Chambelain said “I believe it is peace for our time“. The following year the guns of war opened up, as Adolf Hitler invaded Prague, so plunging Britain into World War II. We say to those in the Commonwealth Of Nation who may wish to try the conversion of Zanu PF method, “The appeasement of wrong doing is a dangerous thing, since it always comes back to bite you in the backside“.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask the Commonwealth of Nations to wait until there was a popular government in office in Zimbabwe before re-adapting Zimbabwe back into the Commonwealth of Nations. This would be the best for everyone concerned.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask The African Union to collaborate with other Regional or Continental Blocks with regard to the Zimbabwean crisis.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask The EC to take a more active role with respect to finding a resolution to the Zimbabwean democratic Crisis. That it engages in hard edged diplomacy when it comes to the Zanu PF government. That it passes strong timely resolutions against the Zanu PF government. That the appeasement of wrong-doing is actually a failure of a policy.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask The EC to reflect upon the new geopolitical world and recognise that events in Europe are no longer isolated to Europe and that events in Africa are no longer isolated to Africa. The world has become small and inter dependent. Democracy cannot take root and grow within a vacuum, whereby the Free World can stand back and observe from afar. Democracy has to be cultivated by the Free World in order to ensure strong roots of democracy for the benefit of all.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask the EC to collaborate much closer with the African Union and SADC with respect to the Zimbabwean Crisis. So that we ensure that the shoots of extremism, do not take root in the Southern African Region to all our detriment.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask the United Nations to play a bigger role with others in seeking a resolution to the Zimbabwean Crisis. History reminds us that the United Nations played a big role in the resolution of the Rhodesian Crisis. The United Nations played a big role in the resolution of the Apartheid Crisis of South Africa. The United Nations must now play a big role in the resolution of the Zimbabwean Crisis.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask the United Nations to craft timely enforceable resolutions, in The General Assembly and Security Council, against the Zanu PF government with respect to the resuscitation of democracy and Rule of Law in Zimbabwe.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we would ask that The United Nations block any non-permanent seat application at the Security Council by the Zanu PF government 2028. For by that time it is certain Zanu PF as a political party and its senior officials would be embroiled in legal matters with respect to The Ndebele Genocide of 1983 – 1987, Crimes Against Humanity and War crimes.
• If Zanu PF retains power once again through rigging and use of arms, we are stating very firmly to the Election Observers, SADC, African Union, EC, United Nations, Regional Blocks and international Organisations that a Government of National Unity, GNU is totally, totally unacceptable. A GNU simply means Zanu PF ruling for another 5 year term which is unacceptable especially since Zanu PF by design barred 50% of Zimbabwe electorate from voting.
Should there be a need for such a discussion, then only a “Care-Taker Government / Transitional Government “would be an option. For such a conversation to be implemented a mini Zimbabwe Conference would be convened with delegates from the Zimbabwe Civic Society, Faith Groups, Traditional Leaders, Political Parties (CCC, Zanu PF, ZAPU and MRP ), Regional participants. This whole process would be underwritten by SADC, African Union, EC, United Nations.
Zanu PF would not be forming this government.
This government would only have a short term of 2 years. Its job would be to get the country into a fit state to hold free and fair elections and to return the country to The Rule Of Law. If required a peace keeping force may be part of this government. We had exactly this situation in 1979 and it worked, providing the transition from Rhodesia to Zimbabwe. Care-Taker Governments/Transitional Governments are common in the world. Especially where the internal politics of a country have failed and where democracy itself has failed or has been profoundly compromised. In 2008 we had the GNU and it has ultimately led to this Zimbabwe Crisis of 2023. Central to the work of the “Care-Taker Government/Transitional Government “would be the implementation of all the Reforms and especially the Electoral Reforms, with the DIASPORA VOTE being the main one. For without the Diaspora Vote all other reforms would be meaningless.
• It can be seen that the Zimbabwean Diaspora Human Right to Vote and the Vote touches upon many issues in Zimbabwe. Fix the Zimbabwean Diaspora Vote and The Vote and you have fixed and resolved the Zimbabwean Crisis. For the Zimbabweans have the capacity, knowledge and experience to turn their country around. They just need help with obtaining The Vote and The Diaspora Vote. There is no real defence as to why the Zimbabwean Diaspora are not allowed to vote from wherever they are in the world. There are many things SADC, African Union, Commonwealth of Nations, EC, United Nations and International Organisation can do. We have only touched on a few practical suggestions that can be implemented, if the political will is there. Up until now the people of Zimbabwe have kept the faith of “Democracy“ whilst all around them their country went into crisis and their lives were turned upside down by the Zanu PF government. The question is what else would the world have them do, before the world acted. What must the Zimbabweans do before the world acts to assist them? Should an armed conflict erupt before the world acts? So that yet again on the African continent there is another armed conflict. This is just a question as we are minded about the armed extremism next to Zimbabwe in Northern Mozambique. To SADC, African Union, Commonwealth of Nations, EC, United Nations, international Organisations, “the appeasement of wrong doing is a very dangerous thing which will always come back to bit one on the backside“